This little nugget of Checotah’s history dates back to the 1890s after the Missouri-Texas-Kansas railroad built a rail through Indian Territory in 1872. Although the Katy Depot no longer sits in its original location it still maintains its unique quality structure of the vernacular stick-style architecture. The Depot is a single-story wood frame building. The roof is of red tile wit flared eaves. Its floor plan includes two waiting rooms, a ticket office, and a freight room. Checotah’s Katy Depot is the oldest surviving wooden depot and one of five territorial era wood-frame depot still in existence in northeastern Oklahoma.
The Depot served its purpose well for shipping and passenger transportation until June 1965, when the passenger transportation ended.
In 1980, the Depot was placed on the Oklahoma landmark Inventory.
The Checotah Landmark Preservation Society (CLPS) purchased the Depot 1985 for $10, saving it from demolition.
The Depot was dismantled and moved to its current location on the corner of Paul Carr Drive and Emmy’s Way in March of 1986.
Exterior restoration began in 1987.
With a partial interior restoration complete, the Depot opened its doors as a museum and tourist information center in 1988.
In 1991, The Katy Depot was placed on the Nation Register of Historic Places, which is a rare and significant accomplishment for a moved property.
The Katy Depot now houses a bronze bust of Chief Samuel Checote (for whom Checotah was named), a Creek Chief W.E. “Dode” McIntosh display and memorabilia, the Paul Henry Carr Exhibit, a military display, rodeo and country star displays, The 14 flags that flew over Oklahoma display, railroad and pioneer memorabilia, along with memorabilia from local businesses of Checotah's past, the Tabor Family Collection display, and so much more local history.
Out on the grounds you will find a buggy barn that displays a refurbished horse-drawn buggy that Dr. A. Walters drove around Checotah making house-calls in the 1890s, the 1949 M-K-T Caboose #205, a train maintenance cart, the Carr monument, an 1871 sandstone mounting block, a vintage hay mower, and more.
Efforts to purchase and restore the Katy Depot was inspired by Checotah's biggest booster at the time, Creek Chief W.E. “Dode” McIntosh.